Many people looking for the guidelines how to Measure for a Cane Right
If you asked from google: "Methods of Estimating Correct Length for a Cane" or "How to Properly Adjust Your Cane Size" you will get a such minimal recommendations:
- Obtain measurements while wearing regular walking shoes.
- Standing upright, allow arms to relax (with normal bend at the elbow) at your sides.
- Have a second person measure the distance from your wrist joint down to the floor. This number is the right length of cane for you.
This is a right way, but I have to make a few important points only:
- The optimal length of the cane is a very individual parameter. It depends not only on your height & your regular shoes soles thickness but also on the length of your arms, the posture, the manner of walking so I do not reccomend to use any standard size tables but make a personal tests.
- Usually I propose to send the standard 36-37 inches length walking stick cane. If necessary, you can shorten a wooden shaft on a place easily using any saw. You'll receive the rubber tip in the set which hidde any traces of cutting. It is a good idea to use a paint tape to protect the wood from splitting while cutting off the shaft (wind the shaft above the cut-off point).
- But If you want me to cut your cane before sending, please try to determine the optimal length very accurately using standard method, but do not remind to consider thickness of your shoes sole! It is easy to make walking cane shorter but very hard to make longer again.